GalCiv IV: Supernova Dev Journal #1 - The 2023 plan
Published on Thursday, December 22, 2022 By
So this Spring will mark the one year anniversary of the release of Galactic Civilizations IV. And we have some really big plans for it. We've been working hard on a major revamp of the entire game.
Here are some of the areas we are making big changes:
- Totally new combat system. Beam vs. Kinetic vs. Missile as a rock paper scissors mechanic against shields, armor and point defense is going away. Instead, various types of weapons will have their own pros and cons in areas like costs, sizes, effectiveness, and on map benefits. This will give us a lot more nuance and open the door to having a lot of new types of weapons and defenses in the future.
- New ship design system. You won't be choosing Hulls anymore. You will choose a general class of ship which will determine how much mass you have available. This will eventually let us have many types of classes (Frigates, Cruisers, Battleships, Dreadnoughts, and other types) rather than be limited to a number of types based on what words we can think of to describe sizes (uh, so um super gigantic mega hull?).
- New invasion system. We are going to move a bit away from the binary "you need a transport" system of invading plants that I've had in GalCiv since I was in college. Instead, the time it takes to invade a system will be affected based on the conquest rating of your fleet. So having an invasion transport with you would greatly increase that obviously. But you won't need one to conquer some piddly little world just because of "the rules".
- New ideology system. Your choices will no longer give you points in a particular ideology. They will simply make certain ideological choices less expensive to acquire. So if you always play as an evil bastard, the evil bastard ideology choices will be cheaper to get but you can still go against the grain and live a life of self-deception.
- Updated research system. So instead of only having N techs you can research, you instead will be able to research any tech you want. HOWEVER, you will be presented with N techs that scientists are on the verge of breakthroughs of which will be 50% cheaper to research than other techs. So while you can choose any tech, it'll be very tempting to go with the ones that are on the verge of breakthroughs.
This is only a small list of changes that we think players will really like. We're also doing things like adding a tutorial, improving the graphics further, making performance improvements, new map setup changes, etc. We'll have more news soon.
What changes would you like to see?
Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova Dev Journals
Dev Journal #3 - Battle Viewer And Ship Behavior Improvements